PHIL SPENCER AND NPOWER’S TOP TIPS FOR A MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT HOME
The average household could save up to £325 a year by being more energy efficient around the home. It’s the little things that can add up to the big savings.
Here are Phil Spencer’s top tips that can take place throughout the house:
- When using a dishwasher, only use the high temperature wash programs for those really dirty dishes
- If you have a hot water tank, make sure it is lagged with an 80mm insulating jacket and only use the immersion heater when needed
- Setting up your hot water cylinder thermostat to 60*C/140*F will make sure you don’t overheat your water unnecessarily
- Save energy by washing your clothes at 30°C and make sure you always have a full load, or use a reduced load programme for smaller washes.
- By turning your heating down 1˚C you can save money and shouldn’t notice a difference in temperature
- Service your boiler every year to keep it running efficiently
- Fit thermostatic controls on your boiler, hot water tank and radiator valves (TRV’s) to have more control over the temperature in your house
- If your central heating system also heats your hot water, insulate the pipes between the boiler and tank
- Replace your boiler if it’s more than 15 years old
- When buying or replacing appliances look for the energy efficient label and go A-rated for the biggest savings
- Keep the heat in – check that any cavity walls are insulated and that you have the recommended 270mm of loft insulation
- Be aware of how often and where you use potentially expensive electric heaters
To find out how npower can support you with improving the energy efficiency of your home call: 0800 072 1740 (free from most landlines) or 0300 100 8122 (included in any ‘inclusive minutes’ from mobiles) or visit npower.com/energy improvements
*All energy-saving facts and figures are from the Energy Saving Trust, 2013, and are based on a typical 3 bedroom semi-detached house paying a gas price of 4.64p/kWh and an electricity price of 15.32p/kWh. Estimated £310 figure is based on replacing a G-rated boiler with a new A-rated condensing boiler.
Calling is free on a 0800 number, but charges may vary if you use a mobile. Calling us on a 0330 number will cost you no more than 01 or 02 numbers from landlines or mobiles. If you get ‘inclusive minutes’ with your package, calls on a 0330 number will be part of these. Calls may be monitored and recorded for training and security purposes.
npower is a registered trademark and the trading name of Npower Northern Limited (Registered No. 3432100). Registered in England and Wales.Registered office: Windmill Hill Business Park, Whitehill Way, Swindon SN5 6PB.