“By uniting AI experts, scientists and clinicians the DEMON network aims to build a digital picture of dementia that will help improve future trials...
Healthy food tips for over 50s
HEALTHY FOOD TIPS FOR OVER 50s
We received this information and thought - is this 'lifestyle' information or health info ? So we eventually decided that healthy food info is definitely a lifestyle choice - read on, and hopefully by taking a few tips your health will improve with your lifestyle !
- Chili peppers may be small but are mighty in terms of health benefits. They contain capsaicin, an analgesic compound which helps with a variety of health issues including pain, cancers and high cholesterol. Add a bit of spice to your suppers and reap the rewards.
- Adding vegetables like broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, cabbage and brussels sprouts to your diet can have great brain health benefits. They all contain antioxidants which help protect the brain.
- Make sure your diet contains plenty of calcium which can help prevent osteoporosis. If you’re over 50 you need 1,200 mg of calcium each day. Good sources of calcium include milk, cheese, yoghurt, almonds and pulses. Try and have three servings of calcium rich foods or drinks each day.
- Yoghurt is not only a great source of calcium, but is also beneficial in maintaining a healthy gut. Your body needs to have a healthy amount of ‘good’ bacteria, so look out for probiotic yoghurt which contains those precious living organisms.
- Turmeric contains curcumin which has anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric has been used as a cleanser for thousands of years and is believed to help relieve pain and prevent the build of up amyloid beta plaque which is a major cause of Alzheimer’s. Turmeric is found in many curries and other Asian dishes.
- Fish is a great source of omega-3 fats which are important for brain function. Having a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids has been linked to improved memory and preventing the build up of cholesterol. It can also lover the risks of dementia, stroke and age related macular degeneration. Try and eat two fish dishes per week.
- Other types of spices also provide great health benefits. Cinnamon is anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory, and may help boost brain function and control blood sugar levels. Cumin is rich in iron and can aid digestion. Coriander has anti-inflammatory properties and can help lower cholesterol. So reach for your spice rack when you cook and pack these health benefits into your meals.
- Strawberries are not only delicious, but each serving contains lots of vitamin C which could help ward off wrinkles and age related dry skin. Treat yourself to some strawberries and cream for your vitamin C and calcium needs all at once!
- Ginger has lots of anti-inflammatory properties which can be useful in fighting heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer’s. It is also high in antioxidants which help fight other diseases, and the gingerol in it is commonly used as a digestive aid. Ginger can add delicious flavour and heat to all kinds of dishes.
10. Tofu and other soy foods can help preserve the skin firming protein collagen as they are rich in the compounds ‘isoflavones’. Try adding some tofu to your diet and your skin may stay smoother for longer.
11. Treat yourself to a bit of chocolate. Yes! The cocoa used in making chocolate is rich in flavanols which can help preserve the healthy function of blood vessels. Healthy blood vessels can lower the risk of high blood pressure and dementia as we get older. Look out for dark chocolate with a high cocoa content.
12. Blueberries contain a diverse range of micronutrients which can provide great health benefits as we get older. They can reduce inflammation and lower cholesterol. Try sprinkling blueberries on your cereals or add them to your yoghurt for some delicious variety in everyday foods.
© Information provided by: The Tree Hotel Group , Managing Director Kavita Pal 2012
Mental health issues in men is also a rising concern and should not be seen as less significant than physical health issues.
Niigata is one of the world's snowiest places and has several meters of snow every year. Yasunari Kawabata, a well-known writer and Nobel laureate...
“I’m the Breeze’s number one fan. Not one of my five scooters has ever let me down. They are true performers when it comes to reliability and comfort...
The study showed that sleeping longer than 6.5 hours was associated with cognitive decline over time – this is low when we consider that older adults...
The exquisite food here is prepared fresh daily from local produce and ideal for a special occasion such as a Christening, birthday celebration or...
In the study, the scientists reveal that some people have a version of a gene, called OAS1, that potently inhibits SARS-CoV-2.
Professional footballer reveals how to boost your immunity during the colder months
Salutaris People warned that it was too early for airline passengers to be able to travel mask-free while the UK was still in the height of its...
This year’s Cotswold Show is a fun packed and spectacular event. What better way to be enjoying day with your family or four-legged friends?